17 Great Things to Do in Vicksburg in 2017!
1. All year long you can enjoy the best of live music at venues throughout the city featuring the musical legacy of Old Man River. Relax and enjoy rock ‘n roll, blues, country, classical and even the Mississippi Symphony Orchestra! And just in case you take a hankerin’ to take to the mic yourself you can find your favorite little karaoke bar.
2. Step back in time in one of Vicksburg’s historic tour homes and immerse yourself in the stately elegance of the 1800's. The Vicksburg Pilgrimage returns this year in the spring and the fall. We will keep you posted on the homes that will be on tour and the dates. Remember that many of Vicksburg’s historic homes operate as bed and breakfast inns perfect for a romantic getaway.
3. Take a drive through the Vicksburg National Military Park and learn about the Campaign for Mississippi and the Siege of Vicksburg while viewing the park’s collection of priceless art.
4. Discover the hauntings of Vicksburg on a walking ghost tour through Vicksburg’s historic district. Be a part of the Vicksburg Haunted Homecoming January 27 & 28 presented by the Vicksburg Bed & Breakfast Association and the Mississippi Paranormal Society.
5. Run, Vicksburg, Run! The Vicksburg Slam features three races each year: Chill in the Hills (January 14); the 38th Annual Run Thru History (March 4) and the Over the River Run (October 14).
6. Celebrate the coming of Spring at the 6th Annual Mardi Gras Parade at 4:00 p.m. in downtown Vicksburg and wear your bounty of beads to the Carnaval de Mardi Gras and Gumbo Cook-off at the Southern Cultural Heritage Center Auditorium. Saturday, February 25, 5:00 – 8:00 p.m.
7. Vicksburg’s most iconic theatrical production, Gold in the Hills, celebrates its 81st season with performances March 24, 25 & 31; April 1, 2, 7 & 8; June 2, 3, 9, 10, 16 & 17.
8. Take to the streets of downtown Vicksburg at the 30th Annual Riverfest! Live music, arts and crafts fair, children’s activities and much, much more! April 7 & 8.
9. Search for treasures at the Old Court House Museums Flea Markets - April 22 and October 7.
10. Take a stroll through the history of automobiles at the 11th Annual Red Carpet Classic Car Show featuring over 100 vintage cars April 22.
11. Experience the raw, wild power and vitality of the lower Mississippi River on a canoe adventure from Quapaw Canoe Company – Vicksburg Outpost.
12. Be a part of the Old Man River Quilt Fest August 20 – 26 and view the magnificent handmade creations of quilters from around the country. Loads of classes and top-notch vendors!
13. Treat yourself and your sweetheart to A Chocolate Affair at the Southern Cultural Heritage Center on May 4th. Chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate – how can you go wrong!
14. Join the Friends of the Vicksburg National Military for their presentation of Symphony at Sunset featuring the Mississippi Symphony Orchestra Saturday, May 27th on the grounds of the Vicksburg National Military Park. This is a free event!
15. Share in the excitement at the crowning of Miss Mississippi 2017 at the Miss Mississippi Pageant on June 24th.
16. Vicksburg’s Independence Day Celebration lights up the night sky with a fireworks extravaganza on the waterfront in downtown. The show features great live entertainment.
17. Get back to nature at Tara Wildlife’s Spring Birding Weekend and view the spring migration of song birds and more along the Mississippi Flyway. Ride in an open-air bus with seasoned birders or strike out on your own causal nature viewing experience. April 28 – 30.
Information about these events and many more can be found at our Event Calendar.