The historic City of Vicksburg with its commanding view of the Mississippi River has served as the region’s center of commerce and culture for nearly 200 years.
1798 Americans took possession of settlement and named it Walnut Hills
1825 Vicksburg Incorporated
1863 Tradition of eating Black-eyed Peas for the new year began (the town of Vicksburg ran out of food while under attack but the residents fortunately discovered black-eyed peas and the legume was thereafter considered lucky)
1863 July 4 Siege of Vicksburg Surrender
1894 Coca-Cola was first bottled in Vicksburg by Joseph Biedenharn. His original candy store has been renovated as the Biedenharn Coca-Cola Museum.
1899 Vicksburg National Military Park was established to commemorate the siege and defense of Vicksburg. The park sprawls over 1,800 acres (7.3 km2) of land.
1902 While on a hunting expedition in Sharkey County (just north of Vicksburg), President Theodore Roosevelt refused to shoot a captured bear. This act resulted in the creation of the world-famous teddy bear. This is documented at the Onward Store in Onward, Miss.
1908 The Chicago Cubs had spring training in Vicksburg. September 1908 was the last time the Cubs
won the World Series.
1914 The first female rural mail carrier in the United States was Mrs. Mamie Thomas. She delivered mail by buggy to the area southeast of Vicksburg.
1927 Vicksburg served as the primary refugee gathering point during the Great Flood. It submerged a large number of the Mississippi Delta. The US Army Corps of Engineers established Waterways Experiment Station as the primary hydraulics laboratory to develop protection of important croplands and cities from the river. Now known as the Engineer Research and Development Center, it applies military engineering, information technology, environmental engineering, hydraulic engineering and geotechnical engineering. It is the world’s largest hydraulic research laboratory. The city is also home to two more Corps of Engineers installations, the Mississippi Valley Division and the Vicksburg District.
More PhDs per capita go to work each day in Vicksburg than in any other city in the nation
1945 July 4 Vicksburg’s First Celebration of Independence Day since Surrender
1950s, a portion of the park was transferred to the city as a local park in exchange for closing local roads running through the remainder of the park. It also allowed for the construction of Interstate 20. The monuments
in land transferred to the city are still maintained by the NPS.
1966 VNMP was listed on the National Register of Historic Places
Over a million visitors visit VNMP each year
Home of the Mint Julep
Home of the Southeast Regional Campus of NCCC Americorps and the FEMA Corps